FLIPANY, Share our Strength’s Lead Partner in Florida, brought Cooking Matters to Florida. FLIPANY (Florida Introduces Physical Activity and Nutrition to Youth) is a South Florida based non-profit which empowers youth and adults through physical activity and nutrition programs while raising awareness and creating policy changes for healthier communities. They currently serve in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters , nationally sponsored by the ConAgra Foods Foundation with six specialized nutrition curricula, Cooking Matters takes a cooking-centered approach to nutrition and household budgeting. Each class includes hands-on meal preparation led by a chef who teaches participants that cooking healthy foods can be simple, enjoyable, delicious, and affordable. The courses cover basic nutrition, food safety, and food budgeting so that participants are able to plan and prepare low-cost nutritious meals for themselves and their families. In addition, Cooking Matter’s adult participants receive groceries at each class session so that they can practice what they learned at home.and Walmart, is a groundbreaking nutrition-education program that connects families with food by teaching them how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Professional chefs and nutritionists volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on courses that show adults, teens and kids how to purchase and prepare nutritious foods in healthful, safe and tasty ways. This knowledge can mean the difference between feeding families just for one night, and making sure they never again have to worry about when their next meal will come.
Cooking Matters makes six curricula available to its local partners, including:
- Cooking Matters for Adults teaches low-income adults (primarily adults with children) how to prepare and shop sensibly for healthy meals on a limited budget. The program is often paired with Cooking Matters EXTRA for Parents of Preschoolers, an addendum focused specifically on adults with preschool-age children. It may also be paired with Cooking Matters EXTRA for Wellness or Cooking Matters EXTRA for Diabetes, addenda offering specialized information for adults living with HIV/AIDS or diabetes, respectively. Cooking Matters for Adults and Cooking Matters EXTRA for Parents of Preschoolers are available in both English and Spanish.
- Cooking Matters for Kids engages kids ages 8 to 12 in learning about healthy eating and provides simple nutritious recipes that children can prepare themselves.
- Cooking Matters for Families teaches school-age children (ages 6 to 12) and their parents about healthy eating as a family and the importance of working together to plan and prepare healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Teens teaches teens how to make healthy food choices, meals and snacks for themselves, their families and friends.
- Cooking Matters for Young Parents teaches teen parents how to make healthy food choices and prepare nutritious foods for themselves and their children.
- Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals teaches child care professionals about healthy meal preparation and creating a healthy food environment for the kids in their care.
For more information on FLIPANY, visit the website: http://www.flipany.org
For more information on Cooking Matters, visit: http://www.cookingmatters.org